Prof. Dr. Sigrid Kannengießer
Building/room: Linzer Straße 4 (LINZ4) 40250
Phone: +49 (0) 421 218 676 70
Since Winter Semester 2021/22, Prof. Dr. Sigrid Kannengießer is Professor of Communication and Media Studies with a focus on media society at ZeMKI. Previously she was a research assistant (postdoc) in the Department of Communication and Media Studies with a focus on media culture and communication theory. In her habilitation thesis, which was accepted by the Faculty Council for Cultural Studies of the University of Bremen in January 2020, she is working on sustainability and digital media.
In her dissertation, which was funded by the Friedrich-Ebert-Foundation, she analyzed a translocal network of women’s organizations and projects of women’s empowerment.
After studying Media Culture and Political Science at the University of Bochum and the University of Hamburg, she was research associate at the University of Hamburg. She also graduated from the program "Virtual Intercultural Gender Studies. Qualification equality" at the University of Hagen.
She was chairperson of the devision Sociology of Media Communication of the German Communication Association (DGPuK) (2017-2019) and vice-chairperson (2015-2017).
media sociology; digital, transcultural and political communication; sustainability and digital media, political movements and digital media, environmental communication, digital storytelling, materiality and media technologies, gender media studies
- European Communication Research and Education Assocation (ECREA)
- German Communication Association (DGPuK)
- Society for Media Studies (GfM)
- Society for Gender Studies (Gender e.V.)
- Verein für Protest- und Bewegungsforschung
- In preparation (will be published September 2020): Möller, Johanna/ Judith, Möller/ Nowak, Jakub/ Kannengießer, Sigrid (Eds.): The Politics of Privacy. Special issue: Media and Communication. 8(3).
- Kannengießer, Sigrid (2020): Acting on media for sustainability. In: Stephansen, Hilde/ Treré, Emiliano (Eds.): The turn to practice in media research: implications for the study of citizen- and social movement media. London et al.: Routledge, pp. 176-188.
- Kannengießer, Sigrid (2019): Reflecting and acting on datafication – CryptoParties as an example of re-active data activism. Convergence: The International Journal of Reseach into New Media Technologies, open access, zuerst publiziert: 13 December 2019, DOI: 10.1177/1354856519893357
- Kannengießer, Sigrid (2019): Reflecting on and engaging with the materiality of media technologies: repairing and fair producing. New Media & Society, pp. 123-129, open access, online first, DOI: 10.1177/1461444819858081
- Kannengießer, Sigrid (2019): Opinion Piece: Socio-ecological effects of media technologies and how to deal with them. ECREA Newsletter Issue 5, April 2019.
- Kannengießer, Sigrid (2018): Repair Cafés as Communicative Figurations: Consumer-critical Media Practices for Cultural Transformation. In: Hepp, Andreas/Hasebrink, Uwe/Breiter, Andreas (Eds.): Communicative Figurations. Rethinking Mediatized Transformations. Palgrave. London, pp.101-120.
- Kannengießer, Sigrid (2017): Translocal Empowerment Communication: Mediated Networks of Civil Society Organizations for Political Empowerment. Northern Lights, (15)1, Special Issue: Political communication in networked societies, edited by Risto Kurnelius and Eli Skogerbo, pp. 51-67.
- Kannengießer, Sigrid/Kubitschko, Sebastian (Eds.) (2017): Acting on media: influencing, shaping and (re)configuring the fabric of everyday life. Special Issue: Media and Communication. Vol. 5, No. 3/2017.
- Kannengießer, Sigrid (2017): ‘I am not a consumer person’ – Political participation in Repair Cafés. In: Wimmer, Jeffrey/ Wallner, Cornelia/ Winter, Rainer/ Oelsner, Karoline (Eds.): (Mis)Understanding Political Participation. Digital Practices, New Forms of Participation and the Renewal of Democracy. London et al.: Routledge, pp. 78-94.
- Kannengießer, Sigrid (2017): Repair Cafés – Reflecting on Materiality and Consumption in Environmental Communication. In: Milstein, Tema/ Pileggi, Mairi/ Morgan, Eric (Eds.): Environmental Communication Pedagogy and Practice. London: Routledge, pp. 183-194.
- Kannengießer, Sigrid (2016): Conceptualizing consumption-critical media practices as political participation. In: Leif Kramp/Nico Carpentier/Andreas Hepp/Richard Kilborn/Risto Kunelius/Hannu Nieminen/Tobias Olsson/Simone Tosoni/Ilija Tomanic Trivundža/Pille Pruulmann-Vengerfeldt (Eds.): Politics, Civil Society and Participation. Tartu: Tartu University Press, pp. 193-207.
- Kannengießer, Sigrid (2012): Digital Storytelling to Empower Sex Workers: Warning, Relieving and Liberating. In: Zobel, Elke/Drüecke, Ricarda (Eds.): Feminist Media. Participatory Spaces, Networks and Cultural Citizenship. Bielefeld; Transcript, pp. 238-249.
- Kannengießer, Sigrid (2012): Digital Storytelling as a Feminist Practice. In: Genderit.
- Kannengießer, Sigrid (2011): Networking for Social Change: The Association for Progressive Communications Women's Networking Support Programme. Feminist Media Studies, 11(4), pp. 506-509.
Find the complete list of publications here.
Find a complete list of presentations here.